The key objectives were to help to minimise empty mileage and maximise utilisation of available fleet capacity, deliver an on-time transportation service for patients, and reduce manual involvement in the scheduling process.
Magenta’s Patient Centred Scheduling (PCS) solution is a dynamic real time scheduling software based on Magenta’s Maxoptra dynamic scheduling engine and delivered to Coperforma and the NHS as an online service. Created specifically for patient transportation, Maxoptra PCS provides an online booking facility, dynamically allocating jobs to the available fleet of vehicles in real time. This enables healthcare service providers and Coperforma to dramatically improve the patient experience and optimise their limited and highly specialised fleet of vehicles to reduce mileage and increase fleet productivity.
Coperforma, one of the leading consultants and managers of patient transportation services for the NHS, has worked in partnership with Magenta to build a solution for real-time automatic scheduling and rescheduling of non-emergency NHS vehicles to transport patients to, from and between Hospitals within a number of NHS trusts.
The key objectives set for the Magenta development team were to help NHS and patient transportation services providers to:
- optimise the fleet to minimise empty mileage and maximise utilisation of available fleet capacity,
- deliver an on-time transportation service for patients, meeting a agreed NHS service,
- reduce manual involvement in the scheduling process.
Coperforma was commissioned by the NHS to drive the reform of the patient transportation services provided to the NHS by a variety of suppliers – both NHS owned and private. For many years the level of service provided to the NHS for patient transportation left much to be desired, primarily due to a large number of factors involved in the planning process including:
- patients being picked up late to go to and from appointments,
- traffic accidents or broken vehicles,
- variations in the types of required and available vehicles and equipment on board,
- individual requirements of patients and healthcare providers with regard to service levels.
The Patient Centred Scheduling solution developed by Magenta ensured increased sophistication of scheduling and optimisation around:
- patient priority and their specific requirements,
- required and available vehicles and equipment,
- profiles and specific service level requirements of individual healthcare providers.
This allowed Coperforma to:
- provide up to 16% improvement in overall efficiency
- substantially improve service levels,
- reduce the scheduling and operational team managing the planning process.